Friday, January 29, 2010

SO NOW WHAT?

It has been almost a month sense my sentencing but I am stuck with this assignment so I must live with it. Every time someone asks about the status of my documentary I find myself scrambling to find a politically correct and accurate answers. My first response is always, "Ugh," a deep sigh of frustration.

Fortunately, I find peace with my assignment at least once a week when I'm brainstorming or I find a potential character for my doc. At the root of my lamentations is the topic itself, "black is beautiful." Whenever I tell someone the someone the topic they most always respond with a "so what?" In my head I'm thinking the same thing..."SO WHAT?" But after talking to different people about my assignment I have found that it is going to take powerful testimonies from those affected by intra-prejudice to really move the audience. Many of my older sources believe that this is an old topic that stems back from "house negro" and "field negro." Historically the "house negro" was a light-skinned, almost white slave while the "field negro" was a crispy, dark-skinned negro.

I am starting to think that the angle of the doc is going more in the direction of "where are we now?" My psychology of racism and prejudice professor asked "who taught you (black people) to hate yourselves," which made me think that this issue of colorism is more of a mental stronghold than I thought.

So now what?

Where do I go from here?

No comments:

Post a Comment