Sunday, April 11, 2010

Critical EYE

After 15 weeks of Specialized Reporting with Professor Kenneth Jones, I can no longer watch movies the same. I can't even watch my favorite TV series without studying the style or critiquing the production! It's a blessing and a curse. I have learned that it's best for me to watch movies with my classmates because they are the only people who understand why I talk throughout the movie. I recently went to see Tyler Perry's "Why did I get Married Too?" with my classmates. We found ourselves highlighting the money shots and the way the editor sweetened the sound. I never realized how much of a difference music made in a film until I was assigned this documentary.

My obsession with producing and editing is kind of unattractive. I find myself watching movies over and over whether they were good or not. I study them and I use some of the things I learn from watching movies and TV shows. One of the best things about Tyler Perry's last movie was the beautiful music sweetening. It was beautiful but unfortunately, my friends don't understand my obsession. I also found the song choice in the film interesting. Perry used several songs in the film but he only used one throughout the entire film. He made it work for him. One of the problems I have run into with the documentary is making sure I had enough songs in the documentary. I learned from his film that it is not necessary to have an entire soundtrack. Sometimes one song will do just fine!


No comments:

Post a Comment