Friday, April 9, 2010

Paper Bag Test Trailer

Producing the trailer for the "Paper Bag Test" was a challenging task. I knew I wanted to try something new with editing but I also needed to tell the story without giving away the entire documentary. It was important for me to show the different hues and features of black people in the beginning to set the tone. The first SOT from a young black mother captured the essence of why this documentary is important. Our characters are all unique with different stories about how their complexion has affected their experiences in life.

The song I chose for the trailer is "the blacker the berry" by Field Mob. There are so many songs I could have chosen for this trailer but this track illustrated the struggles of a dark skinned person growing up. I like how the artist was open and honest about his experience. I found it difficult to allow the audience to hear what the characters are saying and hear hear the lyrics as well. I looked for an instrumental but I think it would have taken away from the purpose of the song in the trailer. Also, having to work around the lyrics gave me a glimpse of what I will have to know when editing the full documentary.


No comments:

Post a Comment