Sunday, April 11, 2010

For the people...



Since I posted the trailer we have received an overwhelming response to our project. I honestly didn't think so many people cared about the topic. When people began tweeting our trailer and sharing with their friends, I knew the message had penetrated hearts. I have been getting random Facebook messages and emails for over a month. Some people just write to say they appreciate our efforts and others want to know when they will be able to view the finished product. I appreciate all the support but it definitely adds pressure.

There have been times I have wanted to give up but then I just think about all of the people I interviewed. Everyone from the 11-year-old girl to the 84-year-old woman deserves to have their story told. I do not want all of our work to be in vain. My greatest desire is for this documentary to change lives. I want people to think differently as a result of hearing these stories. Hearing the 84-year-old tell stories about how she never felt that her cousin loved her the way that she loved her cousin touched me. Her cousin was dark-skinned and she is light-skinned. She explained that she loved her cousin like a sister but her cousin left complexion taint their relationship. It pains me to know that something as minor as complexion could tear a family apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment